Tuesday, April 12, 2011

WEEK THREE LECTURE

           For the third week in a row, I was fascinated by the videos presented in class and the themes that come along with marketing and subliminal messaging. From the first video about the guitar man and his lady friends, I was shocked to see such a strange exercise video turned into a guitar lesson video. At first, I figured this was just a spoof of an exercise video, but with deeper analysis realized its marketing function.
            In response to the work of Robert Mapplethorpe, I have mixed emotions and ideas of his work. At first, his art seemed naturalistic and all about mixing nature and human anatomy, but his art seemed to get stranger and more bizarre as the lecture went on.
             In reflection of the works of Tehching Hsieh, I found his limited put out of work extremely significant.  As a man from Taiwan moving to New York in the seventies, his unique culture swap sheds light on his artistic approach and his strange taste of art works. As Tehching called himself  'Sam,' his most infamous works in which he spent hours and days in jail sells hit home to me. The fact that he had that much endurance and determination to put himself in a cell and deprive himself of life for even a year at a time, makes me think about my ambition in art. I hope to create art like Tehching or at least art that provokes feelings like his piece, One Year Performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment