Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SB HISTORICAL MUSEUM REVIEW

For this weeks arts show, I attended the Santa Barbara Museum of History. Not really sure why I decided to venture to the Santa Barbara Museum with a friend, but it was an interesting experience. Far from the gallery setting I expected. For some reason I thought in my head that it would be a typical gallery setting. However, the Historical Museum was laid out much different from that. Despite all of the exhibits that contained way too much history for my liking, there were some cool pieces of art in that place. That is pretty much the only thing I was able to appreciate there, the history aspect wasn't really flying with me. I much more of a visual person, I have come to realize.
One exhibit that I found interesting was the exhibit by Colin Cooper. The statement said that he is one of the most influential Impressionist artists and important artists in Santa Barbara to date, whatever that means. The museum might just be pumping up one of their locals. Anyways, his pieces on canvas with oil were really detailed scenes of landscapes. He did landscapes all around Europe and even some local ones. He had one of San Diego (my hometown) which I immediately recognized, which was pretty cool. Looking at his work, I for some reason feel that you are able to capture a wider color spectrum when using oil paints rather than acrylics. Or maybe I am just not using the paints in the right way. Anyways, oil paint looks much more clean and pure on canvas. It makes me want to push my limits as an artist and experiment when I have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment