Thursday, April 7, 2011

PERSONAL SPACE

In everyday lives, people do mundane things to get through the day. When people wake up in their personal space at home, they brush their teeth, take a shower, clip their toenails, and an abundance of other things, yet cease to do these things in a public arena. Rather than barging in someones personal space like the home or bathroom  for instance, I wanted to invade the space of others outside.
In the outdoors, there are countless places where people are not at home, yet define a public space as theirs temporarily like at the library, public movie theatre, or even the ATM. The thought of invading space at the ATM was the perfect idea to show how people in the short term consider an entirely public space their own, and a threatened when innocent people cross the line into their personal space.

For this assignment, I wanted to invade a public space where people are conscientious of the people around who could invade their privacy. In my opinion, the one place anyone wants privacy is at the bank or ATM. With this idea in mind, I went home, gathered up a couple jackets, a bandanna, a hat, and a pair of dark glasses to hide my appearance and stood outside the local Isla Vista Wells Fargo ATM for half an hour, and had a friend record the reactions.

The first person to walk up to use the ATM as i stood there, went along with his business with a slight glance over his shoulder to make sure I wasn't too much in his personal space. The student said nothing after his transaction and walked back to his car like there was no bizarre masked figure behind at all.
On the other hand was the second person to hit the ATM. As I stood and stared in full costume, another kid red sweatshirt walks up he gave me a quick glance and proceeded with his transaction.
In fear I would get the same reaction from the first person, I decided to creep a little closer to the second subject of my experiment, only to be confronted and pushed away. To conclude, there are many public spaces that can not be crossed and it is impossible to distinquish different peoples reaction to a stunt like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment