Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SECOND WEEK LECTURE

For the second week in a row, Professor Fulbeck gave an engaging lecture that I struck a cord with myself and many other students in the class. With his talk show host style class and interesting clips and photos, I was fully interested on his discussion of identity and what defines us. To look at myself sitting in the class room and trying to define myself in all the classifications he gave in class like species, gender, age, relationship status, socio-economic, and physical abiltiy, I realize how human beings have so many ways to define our selves. 
The most thought provoking clip of the day was the princess Cynthia video; as Cynthia first entered the beauty pageant in hopes to reveal the ugly truth of pageant institution and their exploitation of the female race, she ended up winning aborting her original plan to be the winner taking full advantage of the system she meant to reveal.
At the same time that the beauty pageant system is corrupt as it makes all its money on the exploitation of innocent girls, if I were in the situation in competing on my looks for the money and fame like Cynthia, I would do the same thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment