Tuesday, April 5, 2011

RESPONSE TO READER: DUCHAMP


The first time I was introduced to the work of Marcel Duchamp was last quarter in Art7C when Jane Mulfinger discussed his ready-made work and referred to it as groundbreaking.  She discussed how he altered the art from of minimalism by taking everyday objects and casting them in a new light entirely. To be real, I didn’t really understand his work at first. I guess, originally, I saw it as a mockery of what I viewed as what art should be. I viewed these pieces by Duchamp, Cage and the rest simply as pieces as anti-art as some of their contemporaries viewed them as well. However, upon further examination of pieces by these artists, the only description that comes to mind upon viewing the pieces is clever. These artists altered the place of the viewer in the piece. These works invite the spectator to participate actively in the creative process by interpreting the work of art in different ways depending on the person. I also like how in the introduction it states that humor sustains all of the artists. Before I feel as though I viewed art strictly as something that is visually pleasing. Upon viewing the work of Duchamp and the others it is apparent that it is art that goes beyond the realm of visual aesthetics and forces the viewer to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment