Thursday, April 21, 2011

ACT OF KINDNESS

     In my apartment building, there are not just students that live amongst me and my roommates like the average apartment building in this area. In my apartment, the tenants are mostly Latino families with three to four children per one bedroom. To think to myself how much i dislike living with over people in small spaces, I look at my neighbors and appreciate what I have and what my parents have built for me.   
     I always feel bad whenever we have people over or bump loud music on account of the young children growing up around us. Although I do not recommend raising a family in Isla Vista whats so ever, I have to admit that I respect the hardships they experience and acknowledge the struggle they live. Every single morning I am woken up by these families as they begin their daily hunt for as many beer cans and bottles as they can find. Rather than sending the kids off to school like what my parents did when I was that age, the parents bring the kids along to trash dig all around town.
      Since my roommates and I drink frequently and have guests over that drink even more frequently, I have begun to collect cans just to give to the neighbors in my apartment. I consider this an act of kindness since I'm cutting out one step of their daily routine. Rather than rummaging through my nasty garbage in the dumpster down stairs, I neatly organize my can collection in hopes of making their lives a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment