Tuesday, April 26, 2011

WEEK FIVE LECTURE RESPONSE

      In response to yesterdays lecture, I was once again shocked by the hilarious and meaningful art that Kip presented in class whether it was photographs or video.

      In response to the first video we watched entitled My Father's Lunch by Tony Mendoza, I couldn't help but laugh as we watched the everyday adventures of Tony's  father every luchtime. Personal Narrative is extremely important to fully comprehending some art; this piece in particular is special to Tony rather than the estranged audience because as we just watch an elderly man ordering food at Burger King, Tony is watching the mundane simplicites of his father that he will remember forever.

     One artist I found interesting in this lecture was the work from Sally Mann. When I was younger, my mom was obsessed with taking photos every chance she could to make a collection of memories of our childhood. Sally Mann's photography is extremely naturalistic and simple in it shows her children in action in their natural habitat.
    As much as I enjoyed the photos and the personal narrative it gave to the audience, I have to admit I could do without the nudity. Like early sculptures from Greek and Roman artists, I dislike the emphasis artists use on showing the human body naked. Not to say I'm afraid or embarrassed around naked figures, but i think it takes away from the arts true meaning sometimes taking away the focus of the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment