Wednesday, June 1, 2011

PERSONAL SPACE REFLECTION

WHO
My original idea was to dress myself up as the grim reaper and enter the UCSB campus with a message to tell as a comic relief to the stress that overcomes the majority of students in the dreadful week ten before finals week. My audience was primarily students, but also teachers, staff members like teacher assistants, and even some parents. As everything in art has a directed audience, people passing me during my piece had no idea what I was doing compared to the people of UCSB that reacted just as I had thought they would.

WHAT
For my piece, I decided to dress up like a zombie or skeleton figure and hold a sign out to by passers talking about the stress of school and what you could do to overcome such stress. As my grim reaper idea was a failure due to wardrobe malfunctions, I truly believe that the outfit I wore in replacement had just what I needed. For the two hours, I dressed in all black in the middle of the tunnel and held a cardboard sign with one message on each side in sharpie. On one side I wrote "IF WEEK TEN HAS YOU DOWN, SCREAM!" and on the other side I wrote "IF YOU FEEL LIKE A ZOMBIE SCREAM!" As most of the students feel the same way as I do, in reaction to the sign more than the majority of by passers let out a scream or yell to let go of some stress.

WHERE
 My personal space was done at the bike tunnel on the Pardall entrance to campus. I choose this spot because  when i first visited the campus, I had never seen such infrastructure in comparison to my boring community college in Los Angeles. I have always been a fan of echos and making a ruckus so when I had the chance to have as many people as I could scream in the tunnel like I do most days when I'm leaving campus, I was stoked. I think that the setting for this project in the tunnel was clever and extremely successful as students and others had no choice but to enter and walk past me to exit

WHEN
The only thing I was upset about was the timing of the project. As myself and many others have early classes, I believe that the campus is most crowded at noon or just before three so I probably didn't get the exposure I would have later in the evening.

WHY
I did this project to relieve stress on campus. If bypassers didn't join in and scream to relieve tensions of studying and graduating, they would come by and laugh or say a comment about how badly they want to scream as a zombie lurking around campus aimlessly to classes. I enjoyed the project and considered it very successful in terms of what I had my mind set on.

No comments:

Post a Comment